Monday, May 27, 2013

Egg Roll Chronicles Part 2


I can't promise, but I'm thinking this should be the last of the egg roll saga for a while. Not that I don't love them; they have been, and still are the closest thing (besides humans) to my heart. But I'm becomming obsessive and just can't stop once again thinking about them. And I need to control this behavior. So let's put my weirdness aside for the moment and concentrate on today's concoction: Asparagus, Cheese, and Salami Egg Rolls with a Taragon Mustard Cream Sauce. Doesn't that sound good? And yes it is. The picture above doesn't have the tarragon in the sauce because by the time I made the final version my camera needed a re-charge. Anyway, here's the recipe. I simply adored it!

Asparagus, Cheese, and Salami Egg Rolls with a Taragon Mustard Cream Sauce
serves two

4 egg roll wrappers
12 pre cooked asparagus spears
3 slices of low fat Swiss cheese sliced into strips- I'm still hooked on Alpine Lace, I think their's is the best
4 rounds of thinly sliced Genoa salami
Dijon mustard- for the wrappers and also the egg wash
1 egg
Water
Store bought Italian bread crumbs
Grated Romano cheese
Canola oil for frying

For the sauce:
this was an eyeball type of thing, no exact measurements, just keep tasting
Dijon mustard
Sour cream- I use the Light
Rice vinegar
Mayo- again I use the Light
Fresh tarragon chopped

I think I've covered all the bases with the ingredients so let's get cooking. I love fresh asparagus and have found that if I cook them covered, in the microwave for 1-1/2 minutes with a bit of sea salt and a tablespoon or two of water they turn out great when I'm going to be cooking them again.


So cook your asparagus and let them cool. On each of 4 egg roll wrappers give a squeeze of Dijon mustard on the lower half (if you don't have the squeeze bottle, use a spoon).


Now layer on a slice of salami, 3 spears of the cooked asparagus and some Swiss cheese.


Roll up egg roll style and make an egg wash combining the egg, mustard and water. Apply the egg wash and roll in the bread crumb/Romano cheese mixture. That would be even parts of the bread and cheese.


Now doesn't that look good already?  Set your rolled egg rolls aside and make the sauce. Combine mustard, sour cream, mayo and vinegar and stir to combine. I added a little water too, to thin it out a bit, but I'm not sure if that's necessary. Add a teaspoon of fresh tarragon (dried would be fine too) and set aside.

In a large saute pan add a thin layer of canola oil and get ready to cook these little darlings on medium heat for about 2 minutes per side (including the shallow sides) just so it's brown all over. Plate and serve. Heaven! Yes, it was heaven. Love the sauce, love the meat, cheese and veggie combo. And you know me, the mustard cream sauce sent me over the top.

No comments: