Tuesday, March 4, 2014

Evie's Cornbread Tamale Pie


One of my new internet cooking buddies cooks for seven on a daily basis. I cook for one- that would be me and sometimes a few good friends who enjoy my cooking. So when Evie posted her recipe for Cornbread Tamale Pie for 4, I jumped at the opportunity to give one of her recipes a whirl. I didn't follow Evie's recipe to the letter, but I kept pretty close, and wow is this a delight to the senses and tastebuds. Pleasantly spicy, meaty and cheesy inside with a simple, cool (slightly sweet) cornbread topping. What more do you need for success at the dinner table? Maybe a side salad with a cool ranch dressing. Yes, I'd recommend a salad. Here's what you'll need to put my version of Evie's lovely little pie together:

Chicken and Cornbread Tamale Pie
Inspired by Evie DB
Serves 4

1 pound ground chicken
2 jalapeno peppers diced
1 fresno chili diced
1 T cilantro chopped
2 cloves garlic finely chopped
1 T olive oil (canola oil will work fine too)
salt and pepper to taste
2 packs Goya Sazon seasoning
1-1/2 tsp Old El Paso Hot & Spicy Taco Seasoning Mix
1 cup corn
1 box Jiffy corn muffin mix (8.5 oz)
1 cup Colby cheese shredded
Cooking spray

In large skillet on medium heat add your oil and saute onions, peppers, cilantro and garlic. Add a small amount of salt and pepper if you like (I always do). Cook about 5-8 minutes until onion is transparent and peppers are cooked. Evie cooks her veggies on high, but I've burned way too many a good meal on my over ambitious stovetop.

 
Remove onion mixture from pan and set aside. To the same pan, add your ground chicken and cook until all the pink has disappeared. I usually don't have much fat accumulation from ground chicken, but if you do- please drain. Now add your Sazon and taco seasoning and incorporate with the chicken. Add the onion mixture back to the pan with the chicken and toss in your corn. Remove from heat and set aside.


Doesn't that just look good enough to eat already? Hold on, we're almost done. Pre heat oven to 400 degrees and prepare a small baking dish with cooking spray (I used my 7 inch round souffle dish and it worked like a charm). Prepare the Jiffy corn bread mixture according to package directions. Now we're ready for assembly

Into your prepared pan, place 1/2 of your cooked chicken. Top with the Colby cheese. Now add the rest of the chicken/veg mix.


Pour the cornbread mixture on top.


Bake for 20 to 25 minutes, let cool a bit and then dig in.


Garnish with sour cream, salsa, guac, or anything your little heart desires. Thanks Evie, next time you have the ladies to lunch I'll be waiting for another one of your recipes for 4.    

4 comments:

Unknown said...

This look delicious Linda dolly!! ♥ Your instructions are a blessing for the info challenged like me! If you gave it a thumbs up I know it's a winner!! ♥

Linda said...

I learned the art of instruction from you Didi doll, I remember your Pastichio post. Glad my mentor approves!

Anonymous said...

This sounds wonderful Linda!

Linda said...

Thanks for stopping by Donna. Lot's of possibilities with this recipe. I think I'm going for a bean version next. And before you know it (finger's crossed) it will be spring and we'll be making salads and strawberry shortcake!