Sunday, February 16, 2014

The Cookie Monster Strikes Again



Before Hurricaine Irene I posted a cookie recipe that I called "Cookies Before the Storm", and that recipe has taken me through many a trying experience, including no power for 4 days during said storm. Well this winter, I re-vamped those cookies and made them almost as crazy as Paula Deen's "Everything Cookies" and thank goodness I had the sense to leave out the M&M's. But this is a cookie that any cookie monster would want to experience. And due to the climate we've been having in the North East lately, I've decided to call this new batch Cookies Before, During and After the Storm. You'll yield about 40 cookies and they are yummy!  It's a basic chocolate chip cookie with a few extras thrown in. Today I added dark chocolate chips, white chocolate chips, crushed walnuts, raisins, coconut, rolled oats and sea salt. They're simple and deeelish!

Cookies Before, During and After the Storm

2 sticks butter softened
1 cup Splenda no calorie sweetener
1/2 cup Splenda Brown Sugar Blend
2 large eggs (room temp if possible)
1 tsp pure vanilla extract
1 tsp salt
1-1/2 cups flour
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp baking soda
1 cup rolled oats
2-1/2 to 3 cups assortment of goodies- like chocolate chips, white chocolate chips, crushed walnuts, raisins, coconut and coarse sea salt for sprinkling on top before baking.

Pre heat oven to 350 degrees and line baking pans with parchment paper. Place butter and sugars in a large bowl. With hand mixer combine sugars and butter until smooth. Add eggs and vanilla extract and incorporate. Set aside.

In separate bowl combine flour, salt, baking powder and baking soda. Mix to incorporate (I just use a fork). Add the flour mixture in two batches to the wet ingredients and combine. Now add the rolled oats and the chips/raisins/nut mixture. Spoon tablespoons of the dough about 2 inches apart onto the parchment paper, sprinkle with sea salt and bake for 9 minutes. Crowd pleaser? YES! Just make sure to take a few for yourself before they are all gobbled up by your cookie monster friends. Hope you enjoy!

5 comments:

KimH said...

Yum!! I wish I had a big ol bite now!!

Anonymous said...

These cookies look and sounded great!!!! YUMMO!!!

Linda said...

Thanks gals, they were so delish. I'll bring some more to work tomorrow and freeze a few for myself. They are very moist and chewy (I think from the rolled oats)

Nann said...

Oh my gosh Linda these look and sound fabulous. I'm going to make them for my grands. I like using the splenda as my husband really has to avoid sugar with his cancer. THANKS for a great recipe!!

Linda said...

Hi Lady Nann- glad you're not put off by the Splenda. Many people are, but sometimes you just need that sweet and your body can't do sugar! The grands will enjoy and you and hubby should certainly indulge and enjoy as well. Looking forward to your Chopped tv appearance and hoping you had a blast participating. Miss you love, stay well and happy:)