Monday, June 24, 2013

Cauliflower Latkes (Faux Potato Pancakes)


A few days ago I saw a recipe on Facebook for cauliflower pancakes (be still my low carb heart). In all my years, and they're becoming many, I've never met a latke or pancake I didn't like. I've made carrots, lentils, sweet potatos and just about everything left over in my fridge into pancakes and this seemed like it would work too, so I couldn't wait to give this recipe a try. But tonight when I was looking for the recipe it was nowhere to be found. Facebook has a short attention span, really it does. I like a little guidance when I'm making something new, but threw caution to the wind and decided to give it a whirl on my own. And I'm happy I did, because it's worth sharing for sure.

Cauliflower Latkes
makes 12 1/2 dollar sized latkes (does anyone remember 1/2 dollars?)

12 oz cauliflower florettes
1 cup chopped onions
canola oil for frying onions
kosher salt
pepper
garlic powder
1 egg
1/3 cup shredded low fat cheddar cheese
2-3 T prepared bread crumbs
an extra pinch of salt and pepper for the wet mixture
oil for frying

I've been pre cooking some of my vegetables in the microwave for quite a while now and have been pleased with the results- it's so much faster that waiting for a stove top boil and cook. So place the florettes in a microwave safe dish with a few tablespoons of water and kosher salt and zap for 3 minutes, set aside and let cool. In medium saute pan add 1 or 2 tablespoons of canola oil (I've been using canola a lot lately because it's less expensive than olive oil, but if you're feeling rich- by all means go with the olive). Add chopped onions, salt, pepper and garlic powder. Saute until softened and you're beginning to smell the sweet aroma of the onions (5-8 minutes). While onions are cooking, finely chop your cooled, cooked cauliflower. I wasn't sure how small I wanted mine, so did some very fine and left some a bit chunky and it worked out great. Combine the onions and cauliflower and get out your other ingredients.


Beat your egg and add to cauliflower onion mixture. Now add the cheese and bread crumbs and add a touch more salt and pepper. It's time to make the latkes, and you've got to be gentle with these little darlings. There's not much starch to hold them together, so they're a bit delicate and they need your love. Carefully form 12 half  dollar sizes disks. They may seem like they don't want to hold together, but they will.


In a large skillet on medium high add a few tablespoons of oil. Carefully add 6 of the pancakes and cook for a few minutes on each side.




Repeat the process with the other 6 and place on a paper towel to remove any excess oil. Plate up and enjoy. I served mine with low fat sour cream, sriracha sauce and a sprinkling of chopped scallions. Yummy good. And I think the spice options with these are limitless. I want to try a Mexican version of this next and I think it will work. I'm thinking of Lynn Socko's pico de gallo as the garnish.

2 comments:

DeeDee2012 said...

Linda thank you for sharing your recipes. This sounds wonderful and I will be making it soon!

Linda said...

Hi Dee Dee, thanks for stopping by. And let me know what changes you make. Cauliflower is such a versatile veggie and tastes so good with cheese, I think the possibilities are endless:)