Monday, April 29, 2013

Savory, Sweet and Sassy


I'm having too much fun cooking, thank goodness it's legal. I keep reading recipes from my internet friends that go on my list of "to do's" and lately I've become enchanted (well maybe obsessed- you know how I get) with the savory and sweet combo. About a week ago I made sriracha and brown sugar bacon which was to die for, really!! I will post that little wowser another time, but tonight I want to share this weekend's sweet/savory successes. And I have to thank Helene for her Authentic Deli Mac, and Carol for sharing her Individual Meat Loaves with Sassy Sauce. Both to die for, and both super easy and quick. Let's get started with the meatloaf.

Carol's Individual Meat Loaves in Jumbo Muffin Cups
The beauty of this recipe is that it's quicker than cooking a whole meatloaf and it's portion controlled. The other beauty is the sassy sauce that acompanies it. Oh my, the combination of flavors will just about knock you off your feet. And did I say it's easy? Oh yeah, I did.

Meatloaf
Makes 4 servings

3/4 cup bread crumbs
1/3 cup fat free half and half (milk was in the original recipe)
1 large egg
1 jalapeno pepper chopped small
1 tsp Worstershire sauce
2 T dehydrated mince onion
salt and pepper
1 pound hamburger (I used the leanest I could find)
2 mozzarella sticks sliced into 12 pieces

Sauce
1/4 cup water
1/2 cup ketchup
3 T yellow mustard
1/4 tsp salt
1-1/2 T Brown Sugar Splenda Blend (or 3 T brown sugar)

I started by making my own bread crumbs in my spice mill.


In large bowl combine all ingredients except the meat and cheese.



Now add the meat and combine. And pre heat your oven to 350 degrees.


Divide your meat mixture into 4 portions and spritz your muffin tin with cooking spray and get ready to stuff these gigunda meat balls with the cheese chunks. I first thought 2 per loaf would work, but came to the realization I could sneak another one in there. The more cheese the better, agreed?


Close the meat mixture up and place in prepared muffin tin.


Set the meat loaves aside while you make the yummy sauce. This will be quick. In medium size bowl combine all ingredients.


Now spoon some of this deliciousness over your mini meat loaves and bake in oven for 30 minutes.


While these are cooking, warm extra sauce on your stove top on low. You're going to want to pour a little more on top of these babies when they are done. Doesn't this look good?


Let's make the macaroni now. Simple, simple. And the perfect accompaniment to this meatloaf.

Helene's Authentic Deli Mac
This is a (no longer) secret family recipe from a New York deli, sure to bring on the old taste bud memories

1/2 pound elbow macaroni (I used Dreamfield's low carb)
1/2 cup rice wine vinegar (Helene uses white vinegar, I didn't have any)
1/2 cup Splenda no calorie (regular sugar works of course)
1/2 cup finely chopped bell pepper
1/2 T celery salt (I didn't have any so left it out, cant wait to get some for the next time I make this)
1-1/2 gobs of low fat mayo (Helene's terminology, it works)

Cook macaroni according to package directions. Drain and rinse with cold water. Heat vinegar and sugar on stove top until sugar dissolves. Pour vinegar/sugar mixture over cooked macaroni and stir to coat. Cover and refrigerate for about a half hour to let the sweet/savory flavor combo sink in. Now add the rest of the ingredients and toss. Don't you want to dive in? I did.


Yes I did. I dove in a few times before I made this beautiful little plate for myself.


Simply fabulous ladies. As always, thanks for your help in the kitchen.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

From Stripey in FL, please stop making my mouth drool or buy me a spittle cup.

Unknown said...

We absolutely loved the mac salad for sure Linda dolly!! I have to try those mini meatloaves too, thank you!!

Sharing on FB

Linda said...

Didi, it's not Nona's sauce, but very good. I always like to try new things and this has a real hint of mustard. Maybe your family will like it, never know until you try it

KayKay46 said...

Well what a compliment, thank you so much Linda! No wonder it took you awhile to post on here ! I am going to try that mac salad as well ! I will have to try stuffing them with the cheese now too ! I will do a few like that in case my husband doesn't like them that way, fussy little man he is ! Love em though!

Melissa said...

Linda this looks fantastic! The ingredient changes you made sure didn't affect the quality of the dish, they look so appetizing. Great "re-mix" ~ Melissa

Linda said...

Thanks Sharon, Didi, Carol and Melissa. I just finished the last of the meatloaf muffins, still have the mac to polish off. Love the mustardy sauce Carol- and you're right, I should have made a double batch.