Monday, April 1, 2013

Hot Stuff


I'm loving the frozen Tai Pei Potstickers I bought a few weeks ago. I've even come up with (what I think) is a pretty authentic Asian soup that features them and will satisfy your craving for hot, sour, sweet and salty. And it's a snap to make. It took me less than thirty minutes and there's nothing fancy in here- everything you need can be found in your local market if they have an international aisle. Here's the recipe, I really think you're going to like it.

Asian Chicken Broth with Pot Stickers and Veggies
Serves 4

2 14.5 oz cans low fat/low sodium chicken broth
1 14.5 oz can water
Zest of one lime
1 clove garlic grated
1 T fresh ginger grated
3 T fish sauce
2 T Splenda no calorie sweetener
2 Serrano chilis cut in rings
1/4 tsp kosher salt
Juice of one lime
3 oz mushrooms sliced
8 Tai Pei potstickers
3 oz snow peas
1 scallion sliced thin (for garnish)

Ready to cook? Let's get started. Zest your lime and grate your garlic and ginger.


In medium large soup pot add lime zest, garlic and ginger. Now pour in the broth and water and on medium hight heat on stove top, bring this liquid to a boil. Lower heat, cover and simmer on low for 10 minutes. While the broth is getting ever-so aromatic, get the rest of your veggies prepped.


Are you smelling that deliciousness yet? You should be. What you want to do now is strain the lime, garlic and ginger out of the soup, so the broth is pristine.


Pour the clear broth back into your soup pot and add the Splenda, chilis, mushrooms, fish sauce, salt and lime juice. Cook on low, covered for 7 minutes. Now add the potstickers and cook (covered) another 5 minutes. Time to add the sno peas and cook 2 minutes more. Tada! Soup is ready.


I garnished with thinly sliced scallions, but I think if you have cilantro on hand that would be great. I actually think both would work and it wouldn't be over-kill at all.


5 comments:

Unknown said...

Linda dolly, this looks fantastic!!!
Marina and I are reading the recipe, she said; "mom that looks so good I want it"!!♥

Linda said...

Dedes- You are so sweet, and you guys will love this soup. And don't let the two chilis scare you. For some reason they are not as hot as you think they'd be. If you don't have the potstickers on hand, cook up some linguini and toss it in- it would be great for the vegetarian member of your family. I really think I got the spices right on this one. Love ya doll- let's talk again soon

Unknown said...

Love my Linda dolly!! I will make a separate bowl with linguini for her and potstickers for us, hello...

Devine Salvage said...

This looks amazing. I will have to wait til I go to the city to get the potstickas unless you know of a recipe for them. I love hot and sourer soup and potstickas so this will be awesome.

Linda said...

Cynthia- I would never attempt to make them from scratch, it would most likely be too frustrating for me, but I do believe I have seen some recipes on jap. I will do some research and report back, either on jap or lynn's page. Thanks for stopping by:)