Thursday, October 3, 2013

MIA

Yes, that would be me, Missing In Action. I don't think I have skipped an entire month of writing since I started this little journal, how many years ago? But I do have an excuse, hopefully it's a good one and you'll understand. I'm going to the World Food Cooking Championships again this fall in Las Vegas and have been boning up on desserts- the category I qualified in this year. I've been baking and timing recipes almost nonstop and finally caught my breath, came down to earth and decided I'd do a short post on a simple, quick dinner I made tonight. Do you like white pizza? I haven't really made many, but with the help of some Naan Bread, this little darling is just what the doctor ordered for a now busy dessert chef wannabe. The recipe is simple and I'll explain it in pictures. Here's what you'll need for one pizza:

Naan White Pizza
serves 1

1 slice of naan bread
2 T small curd low fat cottage cheese drained of liquid
1 T olive oil
1 large onion thinly sliced
salt and pepper to taste
1 tsp Dijon mustard
1/4 cup mozzarella cheese shredded
2 T grated pamesan cheese

In medium saucepan on medium low temp add your olive oil and heat. Add your onions, a bit of salt and pepper and cook slowly stirring every few minutes until they become caramalized (about 20 minutes). When they're just about done add a teaspoon of Dijon mustard. Stir and set aside to cool a bit. (sorry, no picture of this, but the onions should be a caramel color and your kitchen should smell delicious).

Take out your naan and place on a foil lined baking sheet that has been lightly spritzed with cooking spray. I'm not sure this is necessary, but I wasn't taking any chances. Pre heat oven to 400 degrees.


Spread a thin layer of low fat cottage cheese on the bread. I added a bit of black pepper on top.


Top with the caramalized onions. Don't pile them on, spread them gingerly and if you have any left over, either pop them in your mouth or save them for tomorrow's sandwich. They will keep in the fridge for a few days.


Now it's time for some more cheese. Add your mozzarella and parm, again not loading up the pie. This is not supposed to be a "loaded" pizza.


Doesn't that look good already? Bake in pre heated oven for 15-20 minutes until bubbly. Serve hot or at room temp. A green salad would have been heavenly with this, but I just didn't take the time. Next time I will for sure.


I hope you try this! And the re-mixes can be anything your little heart desires. My next naan pizza will have some sriracha bacon on it. This meal is so quick and simple, the sriracha bacon update could be very soon!

2 comments:

Melissa said...

Linda, I so love Naan for a quick pizza. I don't think I've ever made a white sauce Naan pizza. Thanks for a great idea! ~ Melissa

Linda said...

Thanks for stopping by Melissa, always love to hear from you. I have no idea if this pizza is anything like an authentic white pizza, but I used what I had on hand, and love the addition of the Dijon in the caramalized onions. Boy, these naans are expensive here. Two dollars a piece. Do you have to pay that much down south? Worth it for sure, but pretty steep I think! Have a nice weekend, I'll be checking out what you've up to in a bit. Loveya:)