Tuesday, October 23, 2012

Mini Oreo Brownie Cupcakes


I came across a recipe last week for chocolate oreo cupcakes that really got my attention. They were made with a chocolate box cake and oreo cookies. How good does that sound? Sounded right up my alley and I decided to take this idea down a notch by making mini cupcakes, but made it a bit richer by using a brownie mix that I have always been ever-so pleased with. Pillsbury's Sugar Free Chocolate Fudge. From what I can tell, this product is not available in all markets, but I seem to be able to find it consistantly at Shaw's in my neighborhood. 


Confession here...I've never made a cupcake in my life. Really never. But I thought the mini brownie idea was worth investing in some mini muffin/cupcake pans, and a good way to introduce myself to the ever-popular cupcake explosion that seems to be taking over the food network and the bakeries these days. There are a few steps here, but they're simple. And the end result is decadence beyond belief. Here's  the recipe:

Mini Oreo Brownie Cupcakes
Makes 36 cupcakes using 3 trays of 12 cupcakes each

1 bag mini oreo cookies- 8 oz
1 box Pillsbury Sugar Free Chocolate Fudge Brownie mix- I do alter the instructions on the brownie box, so you'll need 2 eggs, 3 T of prepared coffee and 1/3 cup canola oil
1 cup chopped oreos, don't chop too fine

Frosting
6 oz softened butter
5 oz neufchatel cheese (low fat cream cheese) softened
1 tsp pure vanilla extract
1/3 cup confectioner's sugar
remainder of oreo cookies pulverized- I crushed them using the edge of a jar and got an almost powder-like consistancy

Pre heat oven to 350 degrees. Prepare mini tins with liners and add a mini oreo cookie in the bottom of each liner. I was amazed how nicely they fit inside.


Prepare the brownie mix according to package directions, substituting the 2 eggs (for the one they recommend) and the coffee for the water, and the canola oil. Now add the cup of chopped/chunked oreo cookies. Stir until combined. Spoon carefully by teaspoonfuls into the cupcake tins. Don't over fill.


Bake 12 minutes, remove and let cool on wire rack. When cool, remove from tins and let them continue to cool. They look good already.


Now you're ready to make the frosting. In medium size bowl, using a hand mixer, combine butter, cheese, vanilla, and confectioner's sugar.  When smooth, fold in half the pulverized cookies.


 Top each little brownie cupcake with a dollop of frosting, and sprinkle with remaining pulverized oreos. Refrigerate, and remove a half hour before serving. I think you and your guests are going  going to like these little treats.


Not only were they fun eating, I enjoyed making them. The wheels in my head are spinning for more minis I might want to make. How about pumpkin cream cheese? Or brownies with a big black cherry inside? Oh my, We've got some experimenting to do! Any and all ideas are welcome.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

So making this my friend!!!!

Linda said...

Didi- You still up? Guess you're excited about soooo many things, me too. Yes, make these, I think you and your family will enjoy. Better be bed time for me now, talk soon. Once again, congrats on the bacon challenge.

Jan said...

Linda, these look wonderful!! I've never seen that particular brand of brownie mix, usually have Duncan Hines on hand but it should work...just a few more sugar grams!

For a newbie on cupcakes, you did an amazing job!! ♥

Linda said...

Jan of course the Duncan Hines would work. Up until a few months ago, I never even used a brownie mix, I always made from scratch. But when I saw the sugar free, I figured I'd give it a shot. No reason anymore to make them from scratch as far as I can tell. And Wendy (from Lynn's page) gave me the suggestion of using 2 eggs. They make the brownies a little cakier, and the batter goes a bit further. BTW, thanks for reading.