Saturday, October 20, 2012

Flat Bread Pizza


I've made a new homemade flat bread pizza for the last two days and I'm in heaven. The idea for this low cal, low carb yumminess came from Susan Feliciano, a friend at Just a Pinch. If you've tried to make flat bread pizza with lavash bread, pitas, or tortillas, you've probably found that you can't get a sturdy crust. Well Susan solved that problem with a cheesy double crust that will hold up to anything you decide to top it with. For each 8 inch pizza, you'll need 2 tortillas. This is the brand that I used and it worked out great. Plus it's high in fiber and low carb.


Here's the recipe for my pizza, but this is really a method, so anything goes. Feel free to substitue anything you like from pepperoni to pineapple. I'm sure it will hold up.

Tortilla Pizza
Makes one 8 inch pizza
At first I thought I could eat this in two sittings, but have discovered it keeps calling me back for more, so it is really a serving for one.

2 eight inch tortillas
1/2 cup low fat mozzarella cheese shredded
1/4-1/3 cup tomato sauce (I use what's on sale) or you could make your own
1/2 small onion thinly sliced or chopped
1/4 green pepper thinly sliced or chopped
2 button mushrooms sliced or chopped
pinch of dried oregano
pinch of dried basil
pinch of garlic powder
1/2 tsp crushed red pepper (more if you like a lot of heat)
1/4 low fat mozzarella cheese shredded
1/4 cup parmesan cheese grated or shredded

This is a very quick fix, so get ready to eat in 30 minutes. If you're planning on making a salad to go with this, you'll have about 20 minutes to put that together.

Pre heat oven to 400 degrees. Line a baking sheet with foil and give it a quick spray with PAM. On clean surface lay out your first tortilla. Top tortilla with 1/2 cup of mozzarella cheese and spread to cover.


This picture has some cheddar on it as well as I was running low on the mozzarella and wanted to save whatever I had left to add to the top. Cover with tortilla #2 and transfer to baking sheet. Add the tomato sauce to the top of the tortilla.


Top with the onions, peppers, mushrooms, spices and seasonings. Now add the additional cheeses. Doesn't that look good already?


Bake 20 minutes. This sturdy flatbread pizza is ready to slice and enjoy. Hope you like it as much as I do.

No comments: