Monday, October 18, 2010

Sweet and Scrumptious

October 14th would have been Sharon's mom's birthday. Rae Fox was a warm hearted, giving and wonderful gal known for her skills in the kitchen, so I decided it was the perfect time to cook up one of her recipes and then post it for you guys to enjoy.

Rae Fox at 28, taking in the scenery from a New York roof top

At first I was going to make Rae's Almost Famous Scrumptious Meatballs and Spaghetti Sauce but the recipe couldn't be found. So I opted for her Sweet and Sour Swedish Meatballs which are scrumptious as well and a quick fix to boot! Even though back in the day slaving over the stove was par for the course, I promise- you can make these little darlings in 45 minutes tops. The ingredients are simple and brought back a most pleasant taste sensation from my childhood. The sweet and sour sauce is the EXACT, I mean EXACT!!! same sauce my mom used to make with her stuffed cabbage. It's a great memory and an even better recipe.

Rae Fox's Sweet and Sour Swedish Meatballs

1 pound ground beef

1/4 cup cooked brown rice

1/2 medium onion grated

1 clove garlic grated

1/2 tsp salt

2 T parsley chopped

1 egg slightly beaten

1/4-1/3 cup lemon juice-I used the juice of 2 lemons

1/4 tsp vinegar- I used rice vinegar

1/2 cup brown sugar

1 15 oz can tomato sauce

1 15 oz can water

To make the meatballs: Combine rice, onion, garlic, salt, egg and parsley. Add ground beef and gently mix with your clean hands. Form meatballs about golf ball size. You should get about 15 meatballs. Set aside.

To make the sauce: In large pot over medium low heat add lemon juice, vinegar, brown sugar, tomato sauce and salt. Combine with spoon or whisk until brown sugar has dissolved. Add meatballs and enough water to almost cover the meatballs. I found that 15 ounces of water did the trick. Keep the heat at a low simmer and cook meatballs for 30 minutes, tossing them in the sauce every so often.


Remove meatballs to a separate plate and simmer the sauce for about 5 to 10 minutes to concentrate the flavors and thicken it up a bit. I let it reduce about 1 inch from where it started.



Pour sauce over meatballs and serve. These meatballs are a great appetizer, which is how I enjoyed them on night number one. Reheated the next night they were delicious with brown rice and a salad. This is one of those recipes that is even better the second day. So I say, make a double batch. You won't be disappointed. Thanks Rae.

No comments: