Saturday, October 9, 2010

A Square Meal Updated

I recently re-vamped my Breakfast Strata. I changed some of the ingredients and lost the bread (because I've been eating waaay too much bread lately and last years' wardrobe has become a bit snug). So now I guess it's no longer a strata but a baked Western style omelet with tofu sausage patties. If you're making an icky tofu face now, I totally understand. However Morningstar Farms has a great product and I want you to hear me out.

Their sausage patties taste like the real thing. Plus they're filling and won't have you reaching for a cookie or donut mid-morning in the office. They're low in fat and carbs, have no cholesterol and are high in protein. And they're really yummy. Remember- I can be a food snob, and I think these little darlings are great.

Western Style Baked Eggs

4 Morningstar Farms sausage patties

1 cup onions diced (by now you know I use frozen, already diced)

1 cup red and green peppers diced (ditto)

1 T canola oil

1/4 cup low fat cottage cheese

1 cup shredded low fat cheese (Italian Blend in a bag is good- so is the Jack if you can find it)

salt and pepper

16 oz container egg substitute

Pre heat oven to 350 degrees. Prep 8 x 8 inch baking dish with cooking spray. Set aside. In large saute pan over low flame, sweat onions and peppers in canola oil. Season with salt and pepper. The veggies should be tender and aromatic in about five minutes. Set aside to cool. While vegetables are cooking, prepare sausage patties in microwave according to package directions. Set them aside to cool and then cut them into 1/4-1/2 inch pieces. In medium size bowl place cooled onions, peppers and sausage pieces. Add cottage cheese and shredded cheese and stir to combine. Add another pinch of salt and pepper and stir again.


Pour vegetable/sausage/cheese mixture into prepared baking dish and add egg substitute. Let sit for 5 minutes. Bake 45 minutes. Let cool on wire rack.

When cool, I carefully remove the cooked eggs from the baking dish and slice into 6 servings, (I usually eat one slice immediately) and return the rest into the pan, cover with foil and refrigerate. In the morning I nuke a slice for one minute. Sometimes I serve with salsa or sliced tomatoes. And when I'm in the mood, ketchup really does the trick.

No comments: