Sunday, March 21, 2010

Crispy

There are very few A-list food products that I haven't tried. And until last week, Panko bread crumbs (or bread flakes as they like to be called) were one of them. I'm embarrased to say that it's taken me 10 years to cook with this lovely product and I'm baffled as to why I was so hesitant. It might have been because I was a sometimes food snob and made my own crumbs. But I think it may have been the price. But everything's pricey these days, so that's no longer an excuse. This week I jumped on the Panko wagon, bought a box and made chicken tenders. Simple, delicious, and oven baked.




If you've never used Panko before, don't waste another minute- they're available at the regular grocery store. Try this simple recipe/technique and you'll enjoy crispy, non-greasy, oven fried chicken that will be gobbled up in no time. Really. I ate 3 times the amount I normally would. They are that good.

You'll be making a dipping/dredging station so you'll need 2 plates (one for flour, one for the Panko) and one bowl (for the egg white). You'll also need a wire rack (I used the rack I normally cool cookies and cakes on) to cook the chicken on. One of the secrets to crispy oven frying is placing your chicken on a rack, since direct contact with the baking sheet will most likely give you a soggy crust. The second must-do is to cook at a high oven temp.




Panko coated chicken tenders

1 pound chicken tenders or thin cut scallopinis
3/4 cup Panko
1 tsp paprica
1/2 tsp Adobo seasoning- you can use salt instead
1/4 tsp freshly ground pepper
1 egg white
1/4 cup AP flour
Cooking spray

Pre heat oven to 450 degrees. Coat your wire rack with cooking spray and place it on a baking dish that has been lined with parchment or aluminum foil. This makes for an easy clean up. Set aside.

Stir together Panko, paprika, Adobo and pepper. Whisk the egg white until foamy, but not stiff. Set up your dredging station so that chicken dredges first in flour. Pat off any excess flour and dip into egg white. Now dredge in Panko. Lightly coat the dredged chicken with cooking spray on both sides and arrange on wire rack. Bake for 12 minutes. Turn over chicken pieces and bake another 7-8 minutes. Your chicken will be golden, crisp and moist.


I ate my tenders with an Asian dipping sauce that's available in the regular supermarket. I love this sauce with anything fried and crispy. And even though the word chili is in the name, it's mildly seasoned and slightly sweet. But if your dipping tastes run more along the lines of honey mustard, horseradish/sour cream, barbecue, or even ketchup- go for it. You and your tenders will be very happy.

No comments: