Sunday, May 25, 2014

Pork Sirloin Braised in Pineapple Chili Sauce


I have an internet cooking friend that I have been following now for a few years. And I feel like I know her. You see, there was a video she was in for a promotion for a new cooking product and after watching I felt an immediate kinship with her (she seemed to have the same New York/New Jersey accent as me). But her creativity in the kitchen is far better than mine and just last week, after reading one of her posts, she had me at the market buying a pork roast and putting together one of the most flavorful dinners I've had in a long time. So today's post is inspired by Lillian Russo and you can find her original recipe here.

Lillian cooked her pork in the oven and used a peach salsa. I still do not have an oven-proof baking dish that I am happy with so I improvised and went with my insticts and braised the pork on the stove top and used a pineapple habanero sauce that a friend from work turned me onto (available at BJ's and Whole Foods).


This sauce packs quite a punch and after I ate spoonful after spoonful (tasting is what I was doing) I decided it would be the perfect sauce for Lillian's pork. Ready for my recipe? It's a spicy one.

Pork Sirloin Braised in Pineapple Chili Sauce
Inspired by Lillian Russo

2.5 pound pork sirloin roast
2 T flour
Salt and pepper
2 T canola oil
1 cup chopped onion
1-1/2 cups S&F Pineapple Habanero Sauce
10 oz crushed pineapple (half a can)
1 cup chicken stock
1 Fresno chili

Wipe moisture off the pork roast and roll in flour that has been seasoned with salt and pepper.


On medium high heat brown the pork on all sides in the oil.

 
Add the chopped onions, S&F sauce, chicken broth, crushed pineapple and Fresno chili to pan.
 

Reduce heat to the lowest your stove top will permit, cover and cook for 2-1/2 hours, turning roast every so often. When the roast is done, remove from cooking liquid. Reduce cooking liquid to half (this took about 25 minutes). Slice this delicious roast and serve with the concentrated reduced gravy and mashed sweet potatoes and broccoli. So good. Thanks Lillian.


2 comments:

Lillian (My Recipe Journey) said...

Thank you so much for the lovely comments Linda! You made my day! I'm so glad you tried the recipe and loved it! It looks mouthwatering! Great photos! (((HUGS))) =D

Linda said...

And thank you my friend for checking out my version. I now have to make this again with the peach salsa. And when peaches are more or less in season here, add them to the mix. Love your recipes Lillian:)