Saturday, November 23, 2013

Fein Meatballs in a very Fein Barbecue Sauce

 


Lori is coming for Thanksgiving and I am thrilled. This is the first time in maybe 7 or 8 years that I haven't spent this holiday with her in California. I love the trip out west, love the weather, her friends and the get togethers we always plan. But it sure is nice to just to be home and relax and have company for a change. Lori eats a bit like I do. Salads, nibbles, cheese and crackers and I thought before we dug into the big Thanksgiving meal I'd make a few treats for us to enjoy with a few glasses of wine while we either watch some silly tv or get down to a few serious games of scrabble. Myia and Evan, we will be missing you when it comes to the scrabble. So tonight I decided to create a perfect hors d'oerves that can be reheated with no problem and figured I'd serve it at some point early in the week.

I met a lovely man at the WFC named Adam Feinberg who was cooking there and also sells his own BBQ spice rubs and this mench was nice enough to give me a packet of his original BBQ rub. Living in a small condo, almost like an apartment I don't do much grilling. But I stuck my finger in his rub and tasted it. Yowwwsa. It was yummy. So I decided I'd make a sweet and sour barbecue sauce with his rub. Adam, all I can say is the blend of spices is perfect. This is my first recipe using your Fein Tasting Foods.


Here's my recipe for Sweet and Sour Barbecue Infused Meatballs. They are much better than fine (or fein), they are awesome!

Chicken Meatballs with BBQ Sauce
makes sixteen meatballs

To make the meatballs:
1 pound of ground chicken
1-1/2 tsp Feiny's Original BBQ Rub
1 large egg
1/2 cup seasoned bread crumbs
1/4 cup water (you can use milk if your like)
1 T red pepper flakes
1 T dried minced onions
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp freshly ground pepper

To make the sauce:
2 lemons juiced
1/2 tsp vinegar
2 T Splenda Brown Sugar Blend
3 T Feiny's Original BBQ Rub
1 15 oz can tomato sauce
pinch of salt
1 15 oz can of water

Ready to put this together? It's so simple.  Pre heat oven to 350 degrees. In medium size bowl combine egg, bread crumbs, water, crushed red pepper flakes, minced onions, salt and pepper. I mix everything together except the meat to make sure the meat gets as little mixing action as possible. I like my meatballs tender.


Now add your ground chicken and combine. I use my clean hands. Form 16 meatballs and place on baking sheet prepared with cooking spray. Hint: ground chicken can be very sticky, so I wet my hands every so often to make sure my meatballs are smooth and round.


You'll want to bake them for 25 minutes. While the meatballs are cooking prepare your sauce. In medium to large pot on stove top, combine lemon juice, vinegar, Splenda Brown Sugar Blend, Feiny's BBQ Rub, tomato sauce, salt and water. Bring to a simmer. By the time this decadent sauce is coming to a boil, your meatball are ready to go into their quick BBQ spa.


Cook the meatballs in the sweet and sour tomato bath for about 10 minutes, only to let them soak up some of the flavors the Fein mixture is exuding. Remove the meatballs to a separate plate and
reduce sauce to about half (10 to 15 minutes). Plate and enjoy.


 And enjoy some more.


They're going fast . I've now snuck a third meatball (shush) just to make sure they're as delicious as I think they are. Third one down the hatch. They are goooood.  Thanks Adam, I hope to be creating more easy recipes from your hard work. Adam's website is:  www.feintastingfoods.com.

No comments: