Saturday, July 21, 2012

Asian Stir Fry Sauce

Last week I was doing a fridge clean out and had the most boring ingredients to work with. The main issue was a half a head of Savoy cabbage. Onions and cabbage go well together, so I thought a little saute with butter, salt and pepper would make a nice side dish reheated later in the week. Then I remembered the carrots, bean sprouts, scallions, slightly wilted Serano chili and that very sad piece of ginger. So I decided to stir fry the whole vegetable drawer and make a sauce that would bring these vegetables alive. I always have a full Asian pantry (everything's available in the International aisle of my grocery store) and made a simple, saucy concoction that actually mirrors the taste of moo shu. And I think it would be great with any vegetable or meat that you decide to stir fry. I'm planning on repeating this again tomorrow with ground chicken, sliced red peppers and sugar snap peas, served over perfectly cooked rice (thanks to Uncle Ben).

Stir Fry Sauce
2 T oyster sauce
1 T lite soy sauce
1 T toasted sesame oil
2 tsp sugar

Vegetable Stir Fry
1-2 T canola oil
1/2 head small Savoy cabbage
1 cup bean sprouts
3 carrots grated
4 scallions finely chopped
1 Serano chili, seeds and ribs removed, chopped
2 tsp ginger grated

Okay, lets cook. To prepare the stir fry sauce whisk together all ingredients and set aside. Prepare the vegetables.


In large skillet or wok heat oil on high to medium high heat. Add the cabbage to the skillet, coat with oil and stir. Now add all the other ingredients.


Stir to coat the other veggies with oil and cook another few minutes until cabbage begins to wilt. Now add the stir fry sauce and combine the vegetables with the liquid.


Remove from pan and serve in moo shoo pancakes if you have them lying around (who does?). I didn't, so I rolled some egg roll wrappers around the cabbage mixture, baked them at 400 degrees for 6 minutes on one side and 6 on the other. I got 6 egg rolls and the filling was super delish. I enjoyed these with store bought duck sauce and orange slices.

 

No comments: