Sunday, February 12, 2012

Slow Cookin'

Tonight my friend Fran, known on this blog as "the gardener" came over with a steaming pot of soup made in her crock pot. I don't own a crock pot, but I think I'd like to purchase one now.

I have never before posted a recipe that I haven't made myself, but tonight I decided to share Fran's delicious Unstuffed Pepper Soup that can feed a crowd, and please that crowd as well. If you like stuffed peppers, this soup is for you. It has all the flavors of your mom's stuffed peppers, but none of the fuss. We served it with sliced, grilled ciabatta bread rubbed with fresh garlic, then dove into this hearty meal that was oh-so-good. Not to mention healthy and economical.

Fran's Slow Cooker Unstuffed Pepper Soup

1 lb ground turkey
1 cup chopped onion
2 tsp minced fresh garlic
28 oz can diced tomatoes with juice
6 oz can tomato paste
4 cups fat free, low sodium chicken broth
2 cups water
3 cups chopped green pepper
2/3 cup uncooked brown rice
2 T brown sugar
1 tsp dried basil
1/4 tsp ground cinnamon
1/4 tsp ground black pepper
1/2 tsp salt

In large skillet, cook turkey, onion and garlic over medium heat until browned. Drain any juices or fat and transfer mixture to your slow cooker. Add remaining ingredients and stir to mix. Cook on low for 6 hours. Add water to thin if necessary.

If I were to re-mix this, I'd toss in a teaspoon of red pepper flakes before cooking and add some lemon juice to the soup before serving. But this is the kind of recipe that you can really make your own. Thanks Fran. I know what I'm having for dinner tomorrow. And I'm happy.

No comments: