Monday, November 28, 2011

Tangy Broccoli Pasta Salad

I'm back from California, had the day off from work, and am sitting here nibbling on this fabulous salad I just made, that I can't believe I've never posted. If you like sweet and tart combinations, this is a salad you should try. It's a party for your tastebuds. It's vitamin packed, easy to put together and will keep in your fridge for 3-4 days.

Tangy Broccoli Pasta Salad

8 slices turkey bacon cooked
12 oz broccoli florets cooked, cut into bite size pieces
1-1/2 cups uncooked penne pasta (I use Dreamfields low carb)
1/2 cup scallions cut 1/2 inch
1/2 cup Kalamata olives pitted and halved
1/3 cup raisins
2 roasted red peppers cut into 1 inch slices (I use Pastene in a jar)
4 oz goat cheese crumbled (optional)

Dressing
1/4 cup rice vinegar
1/2 cup light mayonnaise
2 T sugar
1/4 tsp freshly ground pepper
1/4 tsp salt

Cook pasta according to package directions. Drain and rinse with cold water to cool. In large bowl combine salad ingredients (from bacon to red peppers). Set aside. To prepare dressing, whisk all ingredients in medium size bowl. Pour dressing over broccoli mixture, toss and top with goat cheese if desired. Refrigerate and serve.

This salad is a great side with burgers, fish and chicken. It's also a crowd pleaser at pot luck dinners (I can't tell you how many times I've been asked for the recipe) and it works for me anytime as a lunch, dinner or snack.

No comments: