Monday, July 4, 2011

Son of Street Food

When I last left you I had made sausage, onion and pepper hoagies. Fran and I finished only two portions, so after vegetating at the pool today I put together a pasta cheese bake with the leftovers. All the work was basically done yesterday, and today I chopped some fontina cheese (best melting cheese you could ever ask for) and cooked some penne pasta.

Sausage, Pepper and Onion Pasta Cheese Bake

Leftovers from original sausage, onion and pepper hoagies
1-1/2 cups Dreamfields penne rigatte -this pasta claims to be low carb and tastes just like the real thing- I use it all the time
1-1/2 cups marinara sauce
1 cup cubed Fontina cheese
2 T grated Parmesan cheese

Pre heat oven to 350 degrees. Cook pasta according to package directions. Combine leftover sausage mixture with marinara, Fontina, and pasta . Pour into prepared dish (I use a glass 8"x8" pan misted with cooking spray). Sprinkle sausage mixture with Parmesan and bake uncovered 35 to 40 minutes. Let cool about 10 minutes and serve. I think the Fontina makes the dish. You may just like how all the flavors work together. All in all, it's a great way to end a relaxing three day weekend and definately stretch a dollar. Enjoy.

No comments: