Saturday, June 4, 2011

Caesar Salad (no raw eggs invited)

Anne Burrell is possibly my favorite chef on the Food Network. Her flavors are as bold and big as her personality and her recipes never disappoint. A few months ago she did a show that featured a Caesar dressing that didn't include raw eggs. I bookmarked that in my memory and finally made it today. Delish. I changed her recipe slightly because I didn't have all the ingredients she specified. However success was achieved. It was cheesy, garlicky and as good as the real thing!

Caesar Dresssing
1/2 cup shredded Romano cheese (Anne used 1 cup grated Parmesan- that sounded like a lot to me so I cut back on the amount, plus I only had shredded in my fridge)
2 lemons juiced
1 clove garlic finely chopped
1-1/2 T Dijon mustard (Anne used 2 T)
1 tsp anchovy paste (Anne used 3-4 anchovies)
1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil
Kosher salt


In large bowl combine all ingredents and whisk until combined. Anne used a food processor but I chose the old fashioned method.

Croutons
4 slices Italian bread sliced into 1/2 to 1 inch squares
2 cloves of garlic smashed
1/2 cup olive oil
Kosher salt

In medium to large skillet, on medium heat, add oil and smashed garlic. Cook the garlic until it becomes warm and amber colored and the aroma permeates the room. Do not cook the garlic too long or it will burn. Remove garlic from oil, lower heat slightly and add bread cubes and a pinch or two of salt. Cook cubes until golden. This happens pretty quickly, so don't take your eyes away from the pan. Remove croutons and drain on paper towels.


To assemble the salad for 4 people I used one Romaine lettuce heart and left the leaves whole (that's what Anne did) and I loved the informality of the presentation. Drizzle lettuce with dressing and garnish with croutons. Add freshly ground pepper if desired.


No comments: