Saturday, May 28, 2011

Peanut Butter and Sea Salt Cookies


I've had this recipe tucked away in one of my files for years. I think Paula Deen was the first one to turn me on to it. But today on the TV Foodnetwork, Claire Robinson added a little something, something that had me waiting for a break in my day to make these cookies again- the addition of sea salt. I think there's nothing better than the combination of sweet and salty. And this cookie (gluten free I might add) hits the mark, and then some. It has only 4 ingredients and if you make it with Splenda as I did, it's the perfect snack, treat, or dessert for anyone who has diabetic issues as well. And it couldn't be simpler.



Gluten Free Peanut Butter and Sea Salt Cookies

1 cup creamy peanut butter (I used Smart Beat)

1 cup Splenda no calorie sweetner (you can use granulated sugar if you like)

1 large egg

1 tsp pure vanilla extract

Coarse sea salt (easy to find these days in the regular supermarket)


Pre heat oven to 350 degrees. Prepare 2 baking sheets with parchment paper. In medium bowl, mix the peanut butter, Splenda, egg and vanilla until incorporated. I used a hand mixer. It was quick. To form the cookies, take about 1 tablespoon of mixture and roll with your hands to form a one inch ball. Continue rolling and place 9 balls on parchment lined cookie sheet. Slightly flatten balls with the tines of a fork, making a criss cross pattern on the cookies. Sprinkle coarse salt on top of the cookies, just don't add too much. Bake 10 minutes or until golden around the edges. Repeat rolling and baking process with the rest of the mixture.

Remove from oven, let cool on rack and you're ready to enjoy.
I'm bringing these to Fran's pool tomorrow. I know they'll all be gone by the end of the day (or within the hour), because this recipe made only 18 cookies. Next time I'll double the recipe and maybe add in some mini chocolate chips.

Ahh. Summer is finally here!

No comments: