Saturday, December 18, 2010

Hot Stuff

Do you like garlic, ginger, chiles and exotic spices? I'm a fanatic for this type of food and today I made a dish that satisfied every single one of my tastebuds. I took a tip from Aarti Sequeira from the Food Network and re-mixed one of her curry recipes. I made a curried couscous. Simple, flavorful and 25 minutes from pot to plate.

Curried Couscous

1 T canola oil
1 cup diced onion
1 cup diced green pepper
1/2 tsp salt
1 T fresh ginger grated
2 tsp garlic grated
2 Serrano chiles thinly sliced
1 tsp Garam Masala
1/2 tsp paprika
1 14.5 oz can vegatable broth
1 15 oz can tomato sauce
1 cup golden raisins
2 cups uncooked couscous

In large pan over medium low heat, add oil and warm. Add onions, green pepper and salt and cook (sweat) for about 5 minutes until soft. Add garlic, ginger and chiles. Stir and cook a minute or two. Add Garam Masala and paprika and combine. Add broth, tomato sauce and raisins. Bring to a boil and then reduce heat to a slow simmer. Cook 15-20 minutes covered. Add the couscous, stir to incorporate the liquid, turn off the burner, cover the pot and let sit for 5 minutes. Fluff couscous with a fork and serve.



This recipe makes enough to feed an army (8 people-that's an army for me). But if you're like me, you'll eat more than your share. It's a great side and I'm thinking it could be a hearty main dish served at room temp with some rotisserie chicken from the market. And maybe jazz it up with baby peas. I might do that tomorrow.

No comments: