Friday, June 4, 2010

Spread the Word

You know how much I like dips and spreads, right? Well avocados were a dollar apiece and I bought too many. I get the guilties when I waste food, so I started experimenting with the blender and came up with a fabulous spread. Try this little gem on a crostini. Or do what I did- use it as you would a compound butter on grilled fish or a turkey and cheese sandwich. It's absolutey delicious.

Avocado Spread
1 avocado
1 tsp Dijon mustared
Juice of one lemon (3 T)
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp freshly ground black pepper
1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil
2 cloves garlic roughly chopped

Put all ingredients in a blender and whirl away. Refrigerate for a few hours to let the mixture set up.

This was a fun experiment and it lasted for many days in my fridge. Plus it never lost its shocking green color.

2 comments:

cara clinton said...

Yum! Since I've moved to the West Coast I found I have easy access to avocados at a much cheaper price (I stock up often). Will definitely try this spread. . .

Linda said...

Thanks Cara- I think you will like this. I was telling Lori, I've been tinkering around with another avocado spread with one of my favorite ingredients: neufchatel cheese. If I get it right I'll send you the recipe. Question-if you stock up on avocados, do you buy them when they are not ripe? I seem to be throwing out way too many of these precious jewels.